CalPERS Open Enrollment Starts Sept. 20: How to Make the Right Health Plan Decisions
Open Enrollment is your time to enroll in or change health, dental, and vision plans, add eligible dependents, or delete dependents. Whether you’re considering a change or not, this is a good time to review your current health coverage and discover your options. In this article, learn where to find important Open Enrollment resources and tools to help you make the best decisions for you and your family.
Where to Start
- Log in to your myCalPERS account to access Open Enrollment information and resources. View your Health Plan Statement, which lists your 2021 premium and 2022 premium if you don’t make any changes as well as any dependents on your plan.
- Use the Search Health Plans tool to compare monthly premiums, explore eligible health plans, review side-by-side benefit costs, and view member satisfaction ratings. Medicare members will want to contact the plans or their doctors directly for availability.
- Visit the Open Enrollment for Retirees page on the CalPERS website for important resources, reminders, and things you need to know.
- On the Plans & Rates page of the CalPERS website you can compare 2022 health plan options and premiums and find Evidence of Coverage and Summary of Benefits publications.
What’s New for Medicare Plans in 2022?
We’re working to give members more choices and added new affordable Medicare Advantage (MA) plans into the program. These new MA plans will be available starting January 1, 2022:
- Blue Shield Medicare Advantage; available nationwide
- UnitedHealthcare Medicare Advantage Edge; available nationwide
- Western Health Advantage (WHA) MyCare Select Medicare Advantage; available in nine counties served by WHA’s Basic plan.
Anthem Medicare Preferred and Blue Shield Medicare Advantage will offer additional supplemental benefits such as non-emergency medical transportation.
The three PPO Supplement to Medicare plans will also transition to two plans: PERS Platinum Supplement to Medicare and PERS Gold Supplement to Medicare. There are no benefit or network changes to the Medicare plans.
How to Make a Change
Retirees can change your health plan, add, or delete dependents easily online in myCalPERS. You may also mail your request to CalPERS’ Health Account Management Division at P.O. Box 942715, Sacramento, CA 94229-2715, or call 888 CalPERS (or 888-225-7377).
Don’t Forget About Dental and Vision
Open Enrollment for State of California and CSU retiree dental and vision plans is also September 20 to October 15.
- To enroll in or change a dental plan, contact CalPERS at 888 CalPERS (or 888-225-7377).
- For vision plan changes, contact VSP as directed below:
Available CalPERS Health Plans in 2022
Want to know which CalPERS health plan is right for you? Learn more with these Open Enrollment resources:
Anthem Blue Cross Traditional HMO
Anthem Blue Cross Select HMO
Anthem Blue Cross Del Norte County EPO
Anthem Blue Cross PERS Platinum PPO
Anthem Blue Cross PERS Gold PPO
Anthem Blue Cross CalPERS (Website)
Kaiser Permanente Virtual Open Enrollment
Kaiser Permanente Virtual Open Enrollment (Website)
Kaiser Permanente Mental Health (CalPERS Northern California)
Kaiser Permanente Mental Health (CalPERS Southern California)
Kaiser Permanente - Meal Benefits
Kaiser Permanente - Rides
Kaiser Permanente - Silver&Fit
Western Health Advantage (CalPERS Basic Plans)
Western Health Advantage (CalPERS Medicare Plans)